Thursday, September 27, 2007

RESEDA BOULEVARD AND SHERMAN WAY


Br. Gary Fredburg just donated this post card to the collection of The Museum of the San Fernando Valley last evening. It is postmarked 1963, when most of us were still living or going to college in the Valley. It's caption reads: "Fabulous San Fernando Valley. Reseda Boulevard looking south from Sherman Way in the city of Reseda, California. The busy community is located near the center of the Valley."
The card was sent to Harry Farr in Woodland, Washington.
It reads: "Dear Dad and Myrtle. Here I am and it is warm. Everybody is fine. New baby boy was born Tuesday. Mark is his name. Kids have grown a lot. I will get pictures of them. Love Louise."
Gary is the Vice President of your Museum. He is working to secure us a permanent location.
JF

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was there in 61, 62 and maybe 63. Phi Delts met and hung out at coffee shops. The two in that neighborhood were on Sherman Way. "Coffee Dans" and the most popular hangout was "Loops" with people like me and Bruce Benner, Rayne Sherman, Scotty Motto and his wife to to be, Barbara. Others I can recall include Richard Mortelero, Al Aquino, Larry Tunison,Linda Dowds,Gayle Dillon, the future Mrs Tom Montes. (Who I gave lessons on how to look cool smoking). And not to forget that time when myself in my '58' Chevy Impala convert and Tom Montes in his Big Chrysler 300, cruised the A&W just around the corner on Reseda Blvd. My God that one pic brought back all those memorys as vivid as if it was yesterday.

Unknown said...

P.S I was just thinking that if ever some of the other girls should ever stumble across this web site and not see their names mentioned , I may hear about it. I think for posterity reasons I will expand the list to include: Anita Jenke, Theresa West, Alice Baily, Irene Wagner, (Joe Sutter's ex wife) Anita Fernandes, (John Whimsett's ex wife) Becky Dykman. I am sure their are others, so if you are reading this and do not see your name, by all means please add to it. I am blessed to have the recall at my age. It was over 47 years ago after all.

Gerald R. Fecht said...

Thanks Al B.
Gary Fredburg (Alpha bro) and I are hunting down postcards and photos of the Valley. We'll hunt for Loops and Coffee Dans.
It's easier for our bros, out of LA, to find Valley and LA postcards.... cause, they were sent out of town... dah!
So, be on the lookout for them in antique and junk stores.
This is fun, isn't it.
Jerry Fecht