Wednesday, May 14, 2008

WHERE WERE YOU IN 1953?

Studio City Postcard - Gift to The Museum of the San Fernando Valley from Gary Fredburg 2008
The theater building that once housed the Studio City Theater has long been gutted and turned into a clothing franchise store. But, the ticket box, the terrazo and bronze entranceway were kept.
"Exclusive and unique shops on a buy thoroughfare in the San Fernando Valley." Since the marquee features two films: Three Sailors and a Girl" and Marlon Brando in The Wild One, I assume that the postcard photo was taken in 1953.
Where were you in 1953?
I was on a Grayhound bus on the way to Los Angeles from Omaha, Nebraska. My destination was Saint John's Minor Seminary on 3rd and Detroit in Hollywood. The bus was filled with Mormon pilgrims who were returning to Salt Lake from Navoo, Illinois. They were fascinated that my Catholic parents would allow a child to travel across the country alone. Now that I think about it, so am I.
I didn't see a popular movie, my parents, or any Mormons for the next two years. Jerry Fecht

No comments: