Thursday, April 9, 2009

THE LOSS OF BROTHER HARVEY MAYFIELD

News has just reached us, through Brother John Bogdanoff, of the death of our friend and Brother Harvey Mayfield. Harvey passed away this last Sunday, April 5, 2008.
Brother Harvey Mayfield was initiated into the Phi Delta Psi Fraternity in the Fall of 1966. Harvey was a member of our Beta Chapter. His nickname, on his Phi Delt mug, was "barfly."
After completing his college studies, Br. Harvey entered the United States Navy on the 25th of January, 1968.
A celebration of our Fraternity Brother's life will be held on Saturday, April 18, 2009 at 3 pm at Harvey ’s “favorite place in the world” ~ Margo Dodd Park , 401 Ocean Blvd. in Shell Beach, California. According to his wishes, his ashes will be scattered in a private family ceremony prior to the Celebration. A light supper will be hosted following the celebration until 6pm by his Shell Beach family at the home of Dennis & Cathy Kunkel. (A telephone number will be sent upon your request.)
I will also provide you with Harvey's wife, Andrea's address, on your request.
In his last correspondence with me, Harvey wrote about his move to the California coast from Phoenix.
"You've heard me Bark and whine about the worlds weather patterns changing, and this last summer in Phoenix was the hottest in recorded history. My health prevented me from getting out. I've always said that I'd rather be to hot than to cold. But I'll just have to get use to being cold in the winter instead of looking at 108 in the Summer.
"My weight is 145 or less and I fight everyday not to gain. I have 10% of my heart muscle working and have lived 8 years longer then the original 24 hours they gave me in Dec 98. Since retiring from drinking I can drive safer now than I could prior to my surgical heart attack. I am thankful and appreciate everyday I wake up. Hopefully I can continue to do that for a few more years. I turn 60 next April."

On behalf of the Phi Delta Psi Fraternity, thanks dear Brother Harvey for being our true and loyal Brother.
Jerry Fecht

Location of Margo Dodd Park : http://tinyurl.com/margododdpark

local hotels:
Kon Tiki Inn, 1621 Price St , Pismo Beach (888) 566-8454 ~ on the beach
Best Western Shore Cliff Lodge, 2555 Price St. Pismo Beach (805) 773-4671
Holiday Inn & Suites, 2100 N Broadway, Santa Maria (805) 928-6000
Best Western Big America , 1725 N Broadway, Santa Maria (805) 922-5200

No comments: